Sunday, September 4, 2011

Literature?

Today I drove up to Chapters so that I could pick up some teen magazines to show my classes when I get to France. One of my duties as an English-language assistant is to expose my students to the teen culture and vocabulary of Canada. Unfortunately, there are no Canadian teen magazines, or at least none that I could find during my perusal of the Chapters magazine section. How am I supposed to show them the difference between Canadian and American teens if they only read the American magazines? But it seems I have spoken too soon: I just googled "Canadian teen magazine" and found Faze, "an exciting magazine published for young Canadians. Since its launch in 2000 Faze has been a refreshing break from the standard dumbed-down youth magazines that only serve up regurgitated American pop culture and prom diet tips. Faze offers its readers insightful, hopefully inspiring looks at real life issues, youth culture, music, movies, personal style, current affairs, real people, technology, travel, careers, health and fitness and much more." I guess I'll have to go and find a copy then! I also thought I should find some magazines that will interest the boys in the class. Does anyone have any suggestions?
While I was at the bookstore I also went through the travel guide section. I'm not sure if I should bother buying any travel books for my trip, since I haven't even decided on the places I'm going to visit. On the long list are Ireland, the UK, Sweden, Prague, Barcelona, Tuscany, Greece, Normandy, Nantes, Strasbourg, Paris, Provence and Belgium, but where I end up going remains to be seen. My (hopefully) many side-trips will most likely be planned only a few weeks in advance and the Internet and word-of-mouth will probably be my main resources. Suggestions, thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Bretagne and Auvergne are incredible beautiful. You won't be living very far from le massif central, which is highly advisable scenic hiking territory. I would highly recommend seeing both of these two French regions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The massif central sounds really cool. I was in Bretagne for about two days this summer and the scenery was beautiful, I would definitely like to go back.

    ReplyDelete